Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Friday marks week 33! We bought the crib mattress and put the linens "on" the crib. We also ordered our glider which we are waiting to arrive.

We went to Ikea this past weekend to buy some shelves which look pretty good. I also came across a set of three pictures that have a bird in them, and also include "girly" colors like reds and pinks. I wasn't in love with this set of pictures, but since i haven't had much luck anywhere else i figured why not just get them (they were cheap being from Ikea anyway). Nathan hung them above the crib. Errr...I'm not that crazy about them at all, but every time i go into the room i test my ability to like them. I change on a day to day basis. Not sure if they will last or not. Until then, my search for cute bird prints continues.

Things at work continue to be stressful and mysterious all at once. Anyone who knows me wouldn't be surprised to find that I've been very worried about the whole situation. Then last Wednesday i landed myself at the doctor's office with horrible shooting pains from my belly into my legs, as well as the mother of all back pain. It started the night before, but i went to bed thinking i would just let the baby move positions. It didn't really help, but i didn't want to make a big deal about it. The next morning the entire drive to work (all 1.5 hours!) i had shooting pains into my thighs again and the damn back pain lurking. When i got to work i was talking to someone who just had a baby almost a year ago now. I asked her if she ever experienced that before and her response was "Yeah, when i went into early labor."

Mmm. Ok. So i called the doctor, who asked me to come down the office. Once you're this close to your due date (although it's a ways off, people do have babies this early for different reasons), they don't like to take any chances. Loooonnnng story short, i had to get an internal exam and get hooked up to the monitor to look for contractions, etc.

A couple of braxton hicks contractions later they sent me on my way chalking it up to the baby enjoying itself best when it's positioned on nerves that cause the pain.

Fine with me! I felt so dumb for even calling, but i know too many people at work who had horrible things happen to them during pregnancy that i just thought it wasn't worth it to not be cautious. Since that day I've decided that i can't worry about things at work anymore. It's out of my control, therefore i need to let it go. It's not worth mine or the baby's health. So...as Nathan would say...I've turned a new leaf. Things are still worrisome, of course, but time will tell what will happen.

One more thing on work (just as an update): I think i mentioned we had to turn in our resumes a couple of weeks ago, and we did go through a process called talent review. Now next week we have to go to NYC (that's super easy and fun at 8 months pregnant!) to do "meet and greets" with people who haven't been identified yet. Since they like to assume we're stupid - the translation for "meet and greet" in this environment is: interview. Yup, that's right. A 15 minute interview to justify to some stranger why they should keep you over someone else. So I'm thinking I'll just pretend to go into labor and ask if we can reschedule for when I'm back from maternity leave ;)

On the bright side of things, I've been obsessed with a few favorite things lately, that i just thought i would share:

1. Lolli pops - mostly Blowpops and Tootsie Pops. I have been considering writing a letter to the maker of Blowpops to suggest a longer lasting bubblegum.

2. Caffeine free Coke!!! Whoooweee! I mean i LOVE it. Don't know what it is but i can't get enough. I have, however, managed to control my urges.

3. Corn. There's nothing better right now then some good hot corn with melted butter on it. Yum.

5. Garlic hummus in a pita. This has been my lunch for the past 4 days, and I'm still going strong on the likeness. It's so good and a great alternative to lunch meats. Tomorrow marks a sad day as it will be the last pita we have in the house before i need to go out and get more.

6. Foot rubs. Thanks to all the sock rings i get around what Nathan likes to call my "cankles" (calves and ankles running into one) I've been scoring myself some great foot and cankle rubs. Honestly, i still have ankles...but we laugh so hard at the mere sight of how swollen they get these days. It's ridiculous.

7. The warm weather we've been getting. I know it won't last...i mean i live in NJ. But today it's 58 degrees out! Saturday's forecast: Snow. Dare i say more about NJ?

Mmmmm....i guess that's all i have for now on my list.

I did have my 32 week check up today. Everything sounds and looks good. The doctor measured my belly and then felt around and said "Well, you're not going to have a very big baby!" So, i called Nathan and told him we're having a Peanut! I won't say the weight she gave me, as some people who read this are involved in a pool of gender and weight guesses. I wouldn't want anyone to have an advantage ;)

I also asked her how far past my due date they let me suffer for. She said generally one week, unless my cervix hasn't done a thing, and then they will let me go a little longer...more like 10 days. She said they never let it go past two weeks. Well that's good, since i would jump off a bridge by then anyway.

I want to be mentally prepared since i have a feeling this baby knows how horrible my patience are, and therefore will most likely test them by coming out late.

That's it for now. Sorry i don't have any pics to post this go around. I will take more of the room and the ever growing belly this weekend!

xoxoxo

0 comments: